Check out what happened at the scales ahead of UFC Vegas 71
The UFC returns to the APEX facility this weekend with a card headlined by two of the promotion’s top bantamweights. At UFC Vegas 71, former champion Petr Yan will fight against Merab Dvalishvili.
Yan lost the belt to Aljamain Sterling in his first defense and then failed to regain it in the immediate rematch. Dvalishvili is on an eight-fight winning streak, but it seems unlikely that he will ever challenge his close friend and training partner Sterling for the belt. The co-main event is a heavyweight bout between Alexander Volkov and Alexander Romanov.
Join the new BE
Bloody Elbow is leaving Vox and relaunching as a reader-supported website. Help us keep independent MMA journalism alive.
Making the Fight Card a little more special than the usual APEX fare is the inclusion of Nikita Krylov vs. Ryan Spann, who was supposed to headline the UFC Vegas card a few weeks ago but was pulled, during the event, when Krylov fell ill.
The prelims have some interesting matchups including JJ Aldrich vs. Ariana Lipski and Raphael Assuncao vs. Davey Grant.
But before these fights happen, we have to get on the scale. Official weigh-ins are at 12:00 PM ET. Keep it locked to this page for all the results as they come out.
Main Card (6 p.m. ET on ESPN+):
- Bantam category: Petr Yan (136) vs. Merab Dvalishvili (134.5)
- Heavyweight: Alexander Volkov (258) vs. Alexander Romanov (264.5)
- Catchweight (215 lbs): Nikita Krylov (213) vs. Ryan Spann (213)
- Featherweight: Ricardo Ramos (154)* vs. Austin Ling (145.5)
- Bantamweight: Said Nurmagomedov (136) vs. Jonathan Martinez (135.5)
- Light heavyweight: Vitor Petrino (204) vs. Anton Turkalj (205)
Preliminary card (3 p.m. ET on ESPN+):
- Heavyweight: Karl Williams (240.5) vs. Lukasz Brzeski (245)
- Bantamweight: Raphael Assuncao (136) vs. Davey Grant (136)
- Middleweight: Sedriques Dumas (184.5) vs. Josh Fremd (186)
- Bantam category: Mario Bautista (136) vs. Guido Cannetti (136)
- Flyweight category: JJ Aldrich (125.5) vs. Ariane Lipski (125.5)
- Bantamweight: Tony Gravely (136) vs. Victor Henry (136)
- Flyweight category: Tyson Nam (125.5) vs. Bruno Silva (125.5)
- Welterweight: Carlston Harris (169.5) vs. Jared Gooden (177)*
*Ricardo Ramos loses 8 lbs.
**Jared Gooden loses 6 lbs.
About the Author: Tim Bissell is a writer, editor, and deputy site manager for Bloody Elbow. Covering combat sports since 2015. The team covers news and events and has also written feature and investigative articles. (a lot of cinema)